If you’re looking for a truly special breakfast or brunch idea this spring, this Vanilla Bean Dutch Baby with Strawberry Hibiscus Syrup from The Baking Fairy is the way to go. If you’ve never seen a Dutch Baby pancake before, it’s quite unique. Unlike conventional pancakes that are made on the stovetop, the Dutch Baby is baked resulting in a golden-brown fluffy delight for both the eyes and the appetite.
The Dutch Baby’s roots may be German, but the modern-day version originated in the US in the early 1900’s. Perfect for breakfast, brunch, lunch or dessert the Dutch Baby is served warm and typically topped with fruit.
This recipe’s strawberry hibiscus syrup takes the Dutch Baby to new heights combining one of springs favorite berries with the tart, floral notes of hibiscus. Make this easy yet impressive Dutch Baby the centerpiece of your spring celebration.
1. First, prepare the syrup. In a small Swiss Diamond nonstick saucepan, combine the water, sugar, strawberry slices, and hibiscus. Heat on medium-high until it comes to a boil, then lower to medium-low, and simmer. Cook syrup for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally until it becomes thick and dark pink.
2. Strain syrup through a fine mesh sieve to get rid of the strawberry and hibiscus pieces.
3. Store in a jar in the fridge until needed.
4.When ready to make the Dutch baby, heat the oven to 450 degrees F. Place a 10.25" Swiss Diamond Nonstick Skillet in the oven to preheat as well.
5. In a blender, combine the eggs, flour, milk, vanilla bean paste, and salt. Blend until smooth and silky.
6. When the oven is ready, add the pieces of butter to the hot pan, using an oven mitt or pot holder, carefully swirl the butter around to coat the whole surface.
7. Pour in the prepared batter, and bake for 18-20 minutes. Dutch baby will get super puffy!
8. When the pancake is ready, top with ice cream, fresh strawberries, and the prepared strawberry hibiscus syrup. Serve immediately!